It's too easy to accidentally drag and drop files around in Playlist

rawrera

28 Jul, 2017 03:49 AM

Version 2.8.26 has a function where you can select a track, two-finger swipe to scroll elsewhere in the playlist, and then three-finger swipe to drop the track to that position in the playlist.

This is great when one actually intends to do this.

I don't intend to do this.

So every time I accidentally three-finger swipe on the playlist (usually while scrolling), it drags whichever unfortunate track that was selected last and drops them in a random spot in a 3000-track playlist. This also happens if I try to drag the scroll bar and click on a track instead, because you've opted to use a "stylish" tiny invisible responsive scrollbar instead of one that is visible at all times, thereby increasing the frequency of these swipe accidents.

Alternatively, once in a while I attempt to drag and drop a different track (usually because the above has occurred without me noticing), forgetting that:
1) I had another file selected previously, and
2) Vox has this strange behaviour of only moving pre-selected tracks and not automatically selecting whichever track you attempt to drag and drop
... which also results in the same thing - that previously selected track gets moved to a random place in the playlist. This is more annoying because I'm already trying to rearrange something and now have two items to move instead of one.

There is no way to undo this and quickly send the misplaced file back where it belongs. There is no way to quickly sort all tracks by file path.

The worst part is there's no way to cancel/stop it from happening once I start dragging, so even though I realise what's happening, I have no choice but to drop it there and then scroll back to return it.

I think the UX designers have forgotten something they should have learned in their freshman classes - that what is intuitive to you, the designer, is not always intuitive to the user.
This especially applies when your app has unusual drag-and-drop behaviour, which I can see other people here complaining about and being dismissed with a "it's a UX design choice" excuse. Do you even know what UX is short for? If your users are complaining about their experience using the app, your UX has problems.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

18 Aug, 2017 09:22 PM
18 Aug, 2017 11:54 AM
18 Aug, 2017 11:34 AM