Thank you for your report!
We will investigate this further. Have you noticed something similar with any other player? Can you still hear skipping with same files located on a local drive? Or only while playing from a network share.
I've spend some time doing more testing. here's what I found
- Never appears while playing local files
- Never happens if "load the whole file into memory" is unchecked
- Not happen if the file is played once in iTunes, then played in vox
- Happens when
- "load the whole file into memory" is checked
- Playing the track from the network share for the first time, and only first play
- If you play it again from the same playlist its ok
- If you empty playlist, close vox then reopen it, does not reproduce for the same track
- Playing a track never played recently to ensure its not cached in filesystem
It appears much more frequently with VBR files; but also heard this with CBR encoding
I can perform further testing if you need some
I dont think this is related to my file server because I've used multiple sharing protocols (smb, nfs, afp) and I've migrated the complete machine (new cpu/motherboard, new zfs raid array, fresh debian install, etc.) recently and the problem still appears. Also I use the same file server to play on other devices in the house and never eard skips like that