Any way to run the Loop agent on Linux?

mikeygriffiths

11 May, 2017 03:10 PM

Hi,

I download and organise all of my music on a VPS (with a nice symmetric gigabit pipe). From there I can back it up to Amazon Drive, sync it to my makeshift NAS at home, or stream to my phone if I'm on the go - all without impacting my home internet performance.

The only thing missing is the Loop agent - I need to run that on my Macbook, which then uploads to Loop the files that have been synchronised to the NAS, on my 20mbps home uplink :(.

• Has anyone had any luck running the agent in a virtual machine on Linux (specifically Ubuntu)?
  • Are there plans to release a cross-platform version of the agent, or even provide a more open way of uploading files to Loop? If you provided a sandboxed SSH or SFTP login for each Loop user, you could just tell them to use rclone1 / rsync2 / lftp3 and not have to care about developing the agent at all :P.

N.B. all three of those tools have excellent algorithms for diffing directory trees, detecting renames/moves, checksumming files, doing partial file transfers (in the SFTP case) to minimise bandwidth usage, etc.

What do you think?

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by mikeygriffiths on 12 May, 2017 12:19 PM

Oh, I just realised this really belongs in the suggestions forum. Sorry for that. Will you move it there, or should I close it and reopen it there?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac