"Hogging" the audio device

ronis_13

29 Mar, 2017 08:01 AM

Dear Support,

VOX has a feature of "hogging" the sound device, however it will not "hog" the system default device. What's the point? There is no need to "hog" the device which is not used by system.

Please note that most other players can successfully "hog" the system default sound device.

1. 1 Posted by soundguy on 29 Mar, 2017 09:28 AM

Ronis_13, welcome

System default device is used by the system for all sound alerts and to send the audio from all applications, mixed, at once.

"Hogging" by definition is one app using device exclusively, without mixing in other audio streams.

Therefore, it's not possible to "hog" the system default device.

Feel free to ask any further questions about VOX here!

2. 2 Posted by ronis_13 on 29 Mar, 2017 05:13 PM

Thanks, I know what is hogging. But what is "not possible" for VOX, is possible for other players.

For example, BitPerfect does that. I use external sound card as system default, launch BitPerfect and it "hogs" the external card and system default automatically switches to built-in output.
    Decibel - the same.

Of course, it might not work if there is only built-in output available, but then don't hog that one. It is apparently simple because a whole bunch of players do that.

And again - there is no point of "hogging" a non-system device, because system is not mixing anything on non-system device.

3. 3 Posted by soundguy on 29 Mar, 2017 07:12 PM

Not exactly so with non-system default devices. You can still play from many apps into the same non-default device, if it's not hogged, which implies mixing.

Currently, You should use non-system device in Vox to hog it.

Re: "Other apps do that": I wasn't very precise: it's possible but we decided not to do so.
    We decided for now that Vox should not alter currently selected system default device because it is used for many things in system. I can imagine couple of scenarios where app changing the default device is undesirable and unpredictable, for example, for audio engineers and musicians.

However, we are open to debate. I think there could be setting that could allow this once user specifically wants this behavior.

Thank You for Your comments .

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac