PLEASE HELP ME WRITE A POSITIVE REVIEW

daviddchenoweth

06 Oct, 2016 10:17 PM

I have been a professional Audio Engineer since 1992. I am an old guy that cut his teeth on the earliest versions of SoundTools, Protools, Logic, Performer and Sonic Solutions.

For years I searched for a suitable replacement to iTunes, (because of the iTunes' lust for RAM). I found one... VOX ! As soon a I discovered VOX, I was hooked. I have been using VOX since it was in 0.3 beta 2 trials. Do not know where I found VOX. I was just glad I did. When I discovered I could use my Audio Units with VOX, that sealed the deal…. Give me RADIO and give me LOOP!!!

I have been using each generation of VOX since then. I set up my studio Mac with VOX and added Radio & Loop as soon as I knew them to be available. Worked great, my clients and I loved it in the studio. Then as soon as I logged into VOX on my iPhone that was the last I have ever seen of VOX Radio on my studio Mac.

Apple Store fails restore my Radio purchase to my studio computer, as the restore effort malfunctions each time I try it. So, I examined your cool looking website, (this was before you started displaying desktop and iPhone choices on your site). At no time did your company ever indicate I would have to support dual purchases of RADIO or LOOP order to jointly use VOX as desktop app with radio and loop, and as an iPhone app with radio and loop.

The last time I tried to use LOOP on my phone I received dialogs explaining... sorry our server has crashed type messages. I am so P.O.’d at that, I have not tried to use LOOP since.

Now, meaning today, VOX fails to respond and crashes each time I try to view Audio Units. A real vybe buster... and we don't allow vybe busters in the studio.

Each update seems to present to me a new challenge followed by an application malfunction to overcome. This review would be a good explanation as to how to kill a winning app. You as a company have in your hands the ability to solve Apple's number one audio shortcoming. Why do you keep cracking your golden egg?

I don't believe I have been receiving all that I have been paying for, since Dec 15, 2015.

This causes me enough frustration to want to post, this post, as my Apple Store review. I hope some one will contact me and help me to write a positive review.

Thank you for you time in review,

David Chenoweth
[email blocked]

1. 1 Posted by soundguy on 07 Oct, 2016 08:58 AM

David, Thank You for Your sincere letter.

My name is Oleg and surprisingly, I am a sound engineer too, thought maybe not as experienced and acknowledged as You. I come from live background (~16 Years of making events and installations), I was rarely connected with studio, but I share same expectations from audio player on mac as You do.

Currently being audio guru for Vox (both iOS and macOS), I try to influence the player any way I can so it becomes a "standard alternative" on Apple platforms.

Back to Your issues.

Re: Loop vs Radio purchase

Radio purchase is lifetime purchase therefore due to Apple rules licence is separate on iOS and macOS. We cannot simply change that. When the site was created we falsely believed Apple users are aware of that :)

Loop purchase, on other side, is a subscription so is bought on timely basis and available both for iOS and macOS at once.

I will ask support engineer to help You restoring Your Radio account and to check if it's ok with Your Loop account

Re: Loop

Loop is constantly improving so if You haven't used it for a while You may find that it works well now. Make sure You use latest versions of Vox both on phone and desktop.

Re: Vox crashing on view AU:
    Do You "allow" Vox to send crash logs? Is Your mac connected to internet to send logs? then we will see them and will be able improve the software. Anyway I will try to address this issue.

Re:Killing a winning app.

You see, the issue here is that every user has another wish list of what the app should be. And we have to please the majority :) just to stay in business. Please show us a better way of developing Vox without crackin the golden egg.. Honestly, we would listen to every wise thought.. but we spent quite a time developing Vox and seems now we found that golden ratio that will help build reliable player.

I am here to answer Your further questions and help You with Vox, welcome!

*** details about AU, long read ***
    AU: You must understand that 3 things about Vox+Audio Units:

1) There are lots of AU plugins out there and we physically cannot guarantee that every AU in the world will work ok with Vox. It's simply impossible for small team as ours. There are just too many of them of different parameters and quality to take into account.

2) It's quite possible that some AU in Your library does not play well with Vox, and not because of Vox itself, but because of Sandbox technology which sometimes prevents apps from using third party resources (i.e. plugins) for security reasons. This is what often happens to our Vox+AU users, and there is no quick cure, for a pity. It's only solved by re-installing the OS and all apps for many people. DAWs and Recording/production software often has sandbox disabled, so require AU's that were compiled with Sandbox disabled. Other Sandboxed software will in most of cases require Sandboxed AU to work properly. This is an ongoing battle between Apple and AU developers.

3) Vox's primarily aim is to play music. Vox has professional-grade fine-tuned audio signal path but to be honest, it was thought as a player for music lovers, not for producers and engineers. We've brought in some engineer features, like "Autopause", "Hog device" and "Sync Sample Rate", eq preamp and level readings in dB, and AU support, but please understand that vast majority of our users will never use AU at all - they even don't know what it is. So recently there was too few attention applied to AU support in Vox.

To conclude on AU I want to state that we are constantly improving Vox so I think this problem will too be solved. Apple actively produces new API for old technologies (and AU is old technology as for developer world) so we may see a bright light in the future.

Sorry for long rant, and thank You for getting in touch before You write Your App Review. Every negative review simply kills Vox because if users seriously drop in number, we have no means to continue support of the app so it will cease to exist as many other players did. On the other hand, sometimes negative reviews are helpful to developers as to where to move and what to do...

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by VOX Developers on 07 Oct, 2016 11:34 AM

Hello David,
    Thank You for getting in touch. My name is Konstantine.I am a customer support representative.
    It hurts to know you've got such burdening time...Let's start from the beginning.

RE:"The last time I tried to use LOOP on my phone I received dialogs explaining... sorry our server has crashed type messages."
    Update VOX app on both (Mac and iOS) platforms. Sing out from LOOP account in preferences on both platforms and sign in again. If You'll be experiencing any issues after that, please take a screenshot and steps to reproduce it here.

RE:"Then as soon as I logged into VOX on my iPhone that was the last I have ever seen of VOX Radio on my studio Mac."
    I need more information to help You here. Could You send us a receipt for the radio purchase? On which platform it was purchased? From where was VOX downloaded? (AppStore or our Website).
    Looking forward to Your reply!

3. 3 Posted by Thomas Alain on 13 Dec, 2017 11:20 PM

Perfect ! This is how a sotware should work. keep it Simple! But this is more difficult to do! The Channel d audirvana hq player should learn a bit !!!
    To Vox I can tell all of you Bravo Bravo Bravo.
    Alain Thomas

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac