Certain AUs won't authorize (Goodhertz)

Hello. I use Goodhertz AU plugins a lot in VOX. Recently all the Goodhertz plugins won't authorize. They load ok and the UI comes up but then the plugin locks me out and says it can't authorize. I assume it's calling home. I emailed Goodhertz and they said "We've looked into this issue in the past, & as far as we can tell, it's an issue with Vox's support for Audio Units. We'll look into a fix, but for now — unfortunately — I don't have any tips for how to get our plugins working in Vox."

So if this is a VOX issue, can you address it so I can get these plugins working again? If you feel its a Goodhertz issue can you please supply me with some information that can help them understand what the problem might be? Or better yet, can you get in touch with them yourself and both you fix these problems?

I need this to work. thanks.

Brett, thank You for this information.

Yes there are issues with some Audio Units out there because of Apple's Sandbox security system which sometimes prevents them from authorising or even starting at all.

I can't tell for sure currently if Your issue is like that, because it's first time we receive notion on Googherz AU's failing to authorise.

Please let me know names of 1-2 AU's that are failing to auth so I have something determined to test against.

For example, does Ghz Faraday Limiter authorise?

I have all the Goodhertz plugins. I haven't tried them all. But everyone I've tried won't authorized. for example: CanOpener Studio 2.01, Faraday Limiter 2.01. I can try others if you want me to but those two won't authorize.

Does this have to be purchased licence? because I am able to log in successfully in trial mode.

Well, both demos and purchased were working fine for me. then one day recently I tried to instantiate a demo license and it wouldn't authorize (Wow Control). I then tried purchased and still no authorization. I can't remember if this coincided with a VOX update or if it just happened out of the blue. If there is any testing I can do let me know. also I am in touch with Goodhertz so if you need me to ask them to do something I can.

I am testing currently but cannot reproduce problem so far, so no questions to Goodherz currently...Could You please do us a Console log of Vox starting and trying to insert and auth Goodherz Audio Unit?

Hi. sorry for the delay... I was able to get the plugins to open fine and I assume authorize fine. but then it stopped working. I don't know what make it work and then not work. I tried to replicate what I did at the time but it didn't have any effect. So now that they are back to not authorizing, I was able to get the console log for you. attached.

Sorry for silence, was trying to find errors in log and test Vox again...

If the log was collected with Vox on and trying to add an AU, then VOX behaved just great, no problem on Vox side. However, Your system has too many logs about sandbox restrictions - that may be the case of the problem.

Please confirm that these Audio Units work just ok in another applications.

During testing occasionally Faraday Limiter refused to authorise but after closing it's window and adding again worked just fine. Other that this Goodherz AUs work just great.

So from what you can see VOX is working as expected and the problem is something with my system? Sometimes VOX will allow the Goodhertz AUs to authorize ok and other times not. I have no problems with Goodhertz or other AUs in other apps I have such as Logic and Audio Hijack. Goodhertz seemed to say they know of this problem with VOX but feel its a VOX issue as they have investigated their plugins and see no issues. So it’s quite possible it’s specific to my machine. I had a horrible time with macOS 10.10 with file permission issues. I finally had it solved at least to the point where it was working ok, but I had no idea about what was going on under the hood. then I upgraded to 10.11 and it works much better. but it’s possible there are still issues with permissions causing all these sandbox issues.

Do you have any idea as to why Faraday limiter was not authorizing and then authorizing ok? that seems to be the issue on my mac too although most of the time I can’t auth it/them.

I looked at the log. I see a sandbox message related to conceited.Ru. I found the problem - there was an old bandwidth monitoring daemon running so I deleted it and now I don’t get those sandbox console messages. i will see if this helps with the Goodhertz authorization in VOX issues.

In my case as I see this, the problem was in authorisation process (which is by no means connected to VOX!), as soon as plugin authorised it worked properly, and problem happened just once out of series of many re-starts. The auth problem could be related to internet connection dropout or speeddown.

As for my words about Sandbox, it's because I see a lot of lines with "sandbox" word in logs. If You had problem with Sandbox in AU You would not be able to start them at all, at any time. I am investigating this but my resources are limited to the data I have (my tests, Your situation and logs...)

OLD

Hi again. I have been living with the Goodhertz plugin I use with VOX often not loading due to the issue we discussed.

Now I am trying another plugin from Hornet and its also not working. It throws this error… Is this really a problem with the plugins and not with VOX? Seems like a VOX issue.

Brett

I removed all AU units from VOX, quit and re-started. then I instantiated Goodhertz in VOX and got this… not sure if it tells you anything… in this case, VOX opened and did not authorize for use:

25.10.16 11:29:54.960 AM VOX[6756]: VOX AU: Graph was not compatible, re-creating...
25.10.16 11:29:54.969 AM VOX[6756]: VOX AU: Successfully re-created interleaver/deinterleaver
25.10.16 11:29:56.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: VOX(6756) deny(1) file-write-unlink /Users/plexus/Music/.GDHZ/Interface.interface
25.10.16 11:29:56.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: VOX(6756) deny(1) file-write-unlink /Users/plexus/Music/.GDHZ/Interface.interface
25.10.16 11:29:56.740 AM VOX[6756]: write err: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "You don’t have permission to save the file “Interface.interface” in the folder “.GDHZ”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/plexus/Music/.GDHZ/Interface.interface, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fab25b44070 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "Operation not permitted"}}
25.10.16 11:29:56.853 AM sandboxd[72280]: ([6756]) VOX(6756) deny file-write-unlink /Users/plexus/Music/.GDHZ/Interface.interface
25.10.16 11:29:56.866 AM sandboxd[72280]: ([6756]) VOX(6756) deny file-write-unlink /Users/plexus/Music/.GDHZ/Interface.interface
25.10.16 11:29:56.880 AM sandboxd[72280]: ([6756]) VOX(6756) deny file-write-data /Users/plexus/Music/.GDHZ/Interface.interface

On 25 Oct 2016, at 11:21 AM, UsabilityNow brett@usabilitynow.ca wrote:

Hi again. I have been living with the Goodhertz plugin I use with VOX often not loading due to the issue we discussed.

Now I am trying another plugin from Hornet and its also not working. It throws this error… Is this really a problem with the plugins and not with VOX? Seems like a VOX issue.

Brett

On 06 Oct 2016, at 2:25 PM, soundguy > wrote:

Your log tells the story, I think - Sandbox prevents Vox from using Your GDHZ Audio Units... We have no control over this, moreover, we are unable to reproduce the error - which is important in order to fix it.

Interesting. ok I guess it gets chalked up to one of those unsolvable macos issues (of which there are many). The odd thing is, it’s sporadic in that it doesn’t do this all the time - sometimes it works. also this is when I am at work on the company wifi which has some firewall-y stuff going on too. but at home, I haven’t had this issue at all on the same machine. I know that GHDZ uses a call-home when their plugins are instantiated. my only guess is that the wifi interferes with the auth process resulting in no authentication. but I am not a dev so I don’t know how this might play into the sandbox thing.

anyway, thought I’d send it along. thanks for the input!

Thanks for the note, always welcome! We will monitor this situation to see if there is a solution.