AUDIO QUALITY and HiFi Gear

nicolas.loupia

06 Sep, 2017 10:37 AM

Hi,

I think I have a problem : say that for at least one year now, I've been testing every single hifi streaming music service, such as Qobuz and Tidal, and that I have always compared those to Apple Music and Spotify. Ever since I've had my Oppo PM-3s plugged into my Oppo HA-2, I have been trying to figure out why I can't hear any differences between ogg vorbis 320/AAC 256 and 16 bits or even higher now that I use VOX and that I have many some wonderfully recorded albums from every genre in my Loop (for example Hiroshima mon Amour - Eric Schaefer in 88,2 24 bits, The Absence - Melody Gardot in 96 24 bits, Golijov - Azul in 96 24 bits, etc...), I cry because when I do listening comparisons between those albums in VOX Loop and iTunes, they sound absolutely the same !
I don't know if my hearing is damaged or something, but it really bothers me to have paid one year of Loop and all of the albums I have now in great quality (this wasn't cheap), I mean the service is so great, being able to have an infinite cloud accessible from everywhere, plus that the interface is beautiful, I can't complain about that.
So, any advice guys ?

Nicolas LOUPIA

1. 1 Posted by soundguy on 06 Sep, 2017 04:30 PM

Nicolas, welcome to VOX support board.

Thank You for Your feedback, however, could You please clarify exactly what You do, what You get and what You want to get.

Bitrates You mention are substantial, lossy formats are really good ones in their family. It's not a problem if the difference is indistinguishable. Too few people can detect it.

There is no problem in the fact that Apple format files sound the same in VOX and in iTunes - they use the same components to play these files, there is no better way to play Apple file than through Apple codec.

What iTunes does not do is support other lossless audio formats, like FLAC and APE, which are decoded using their native decoders.

So, to advice. Please make sure You use "Sync Sample Rate" feature when possible. In many cases it allows omitting sample rate conversion. Also please make sure You know which Audio Units You are using and if You have EQ on.

Other than that, VOX plays Your files truly as they are, without EQ-ing or enhancing behind the scenes.

Hope this helps and I am awaiting for Your more detailed review of what is wrong and what we can do to solve/improve it.

2. 2 Posted by nicolas.loupia on 07 Sep, 2017 09:26 AM

Hi,

Well then if too few people can tell the difference, why do I have to pay so much more for VOX than for iTunes ? I mean, 200€/y vs. 5€ a month is a very big deal.
    So what I do : let's have an example of one album I have, because I don't have any ALAC files in VOX. The Absence - Melody Gardot in FLAC 96khZ 24bits. So I paid 20€ for this album and the 200€ for Loop for VOX for how convenient it is with the infinite cloud and multi device support, etc... But I mean, iTunes does the exact same thing with Apple Music for 5€/mo (student discount), plus files are way less heavy on storage, so now I can't see the point of VOX I'm sorry.
    Of course I like to listen to the true actual recordings but if it doesn't bring anything to me in terms of sound quality I don't see the point, and I would prefer to invest in a turntable and in some vinyls...
    I don't know if I could get a refund for the rest of the year I already paid for because it's only been one month with Loop and I don't really plan to use it anymore if it isn't a greater deal than iTunes actually :/

Sincerely,

Nicolas LOUPIA

3. 3 Posted by soundguy on 07 Sep, 2017 02:25 PM

Hi Nicolas,

I didn't get You right at the first time - I thought You were talking about difference in sound between players, but it turned out You were talking about difference in sound between lossless and lossy file formats? The difference may be indistinguishable on some music and equipment but obvious on other, of course, with some listening experience.

Re: "... but if it doesn't bring anything to me in terms of sound quality" - what exactly You expect to get? Does it sound poor? Are there problems in playback? If it is delivered just as engineer mixed it, is sound quality good enough? If You want to improve Your listening experience You can go further and add an EQ which is very smooth in VOX, btw, much better sonically than in iTunes, without any additional cost.

Plus, with VOX You can mix in files of multiple origin (local music, iTunes, LOOP, Soundcloud) in the same playback Queue. These files could be of almost any audio format known in the world, and VOX will play them all seamlessly. VOX also watches Your hardware's sample rate and other parameters to ensure best sound quality possible, which iTunes does not.

Tell me how I can be helpful or what else I can do.

4. 4 Posted by nicolas.loupia on 07 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM

No it doesn't sound bad at all but it sounds the exact same. The way your website adverts the whole thing doesn't fit me because it made me believe that if I had true hi res music I would discover a whole new audio experience, which is not the case. I mean, I didn't have a listening through stereo hi res speakers but with an Oppo PM-3 and an Oppo HA-2 I was hoping I could hear much more detail with hi res music, but no.
    So yes you're right you made VOX a really convenient software, it's great (by the way with iTunes yes it works but not with Apple Music since files are DRM protected), but this is not enough for me, not enough to justify the price I'm sorry.
    So my last question is : is it possible to get a fair refund for the rest of the year I'm not gonna use VOX anymore ?

Sincerely,

Nicolas LOUPIA

Envoyé de mon iPhone

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by VOX Developers on 08 Sep, 2017 01:57 PM

Hello Nicolas,
    My name is Konstantine.
    We are providing a trial subscription for our customers so they have time to make a decision whether they want to subscribe or not.
    According to our terms of use, refund can be issued only if the product was not delivered.

Link to our refund policy: http://coppertino.com/terms

It is my hope this information helps.
    Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

6. VOX Developers closed this discussion on 08 Sep, 2017 01:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

21 Sep, 2017 09:57 AM
20 Sep, 2017 01:17 PM
18 Sep, 2017 08:38 PM