Choose an alternate iTunes library...

fishscales

01 Jun, 2017 05:29 AM

Can you please add the option to choose which iTunes library to use?

In another discussion, it was said that Vox uses the "current iTunes library". However, it doesn't even do that—at the moment Vox seems to always uses the iTunes library that has the default name. To me it makes sense to be able to change libraries, just like iTunes does (I have a good reason for having multiple libraries).

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by VOX Developers on 02 Jun, 2017 11:48 AM

Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out.
    VOX uses current iTunes library. It means it will sync with it at startup if the corresponding checkbox is set in VOX settings. If not - you need to sync with it manually.
    How do you expect it to behave with multiple libraries? Would they be all at once connected? Or some kind of switcher mechanism?

RE"To me it makes sense to be able to change libraries, just like iTunes does "
    Imagine it this way if you wish: VOX uses iTunes library switcher.

2. 2 Posted by fishscales on 02 Jun, 2017 12:26 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you clarify what you mean by "current iTunes library"? Because I tried changing my currently active iTunes library, and resyncing it to Vox. However, in my experience, Vox did not sync with the currently active iTunes library, instead it seems to always sync with the iTunes library that has the default folder name "iTunes".

What I would really like is some kind of 'switcher' mechanism. This could be as simple as an option in the preferences that allows you to browse for the iTunes library that you want to sync with Vox.

In my case, I keep separate lossy and lossless versions of my iTunes library. I do this to avoid having duplicate tracks in one library, and also because I only want to sync the lossy library to my other devices. On my computer, I use a second audio player app to play the lossless library, and I would like to try using Vox as this second audio player. Previously I used Fidelia for this, however it is no longer under development.

This is why I would like the option of telling Vox exactly which iTunes library to load. Even if Vox did automatically use the currently active library, that would not really help me since my active iTunes library is usually the lossy version.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by VOX Developers on 06 Jun, 2017 02:30 PM

Hi again,
    I get your point, but such feature is not in our plans currently. I'll add to suggestions box.

RE:"Vox did not sync with the currently active iTunes library, instead it seems to always sync with the iTunes library that has the default folder name "iTunes"."

Just tested it with different scenarios.
    1. Second iTunes library can have any name. It's just important to set "Share XML with other applications" checkbox in settings (as it were in fist library)
    2. If "Update iTunes library on startup" checkbox is not set in VOX, use "Reload iTunes completely" button in settings. (or just set the checkbox)

Should work like a charm!

Screenshots attached.

4. VOX Developers closed this discussion on 06 Jun, 2017 02:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac